Penile prosthesis as a definite way of treating Erectile dysfunction
Prescription pills are often the first course of action for treating erectile dysfunction, but often they are just an instant fix. When pills aren’t a reliable option, a penile implant can offer real hope.
A penile implant (or penile prosthesis) is a medical device that is custom-fit and surgically placed into a penis to produce a natural-looking and natural-feeling erection.
A penile implant is a discrete device that is placed into a man’s penis and is designed to help him get an erection. Once implanted, it helps put the man back in control of his body and can be used at any time, unlike other treatment options where there may be a short waiting period for them to be effective. A penile implant can be an effective solution for men who are suffering from ED that has not been resolved by other available treatment options.
There are two different penile implants that are available today. The 3-piece inflatable penile implant is the most popular implant and a malleable penile implant is also available. Both implant types are custom fitted to your body to allow you to have a satisfactory erection for sexual intercourse. Your sensitivity and ability to ejaculate should not be affected.
The primary difference between the two penile implant types is that the 3-piece inflatable implant produces a more natural erection while the malleable implant (flexible rods) produces a permanently firm penis.
Inflatable Penile Implants
There are three parts to an inflatable penile implant:
- A reservoir placed in the abdomen
- Two cylinders placed in the penis
- A pump placed in the scrotum
Malleable Penile Implants
It consists of two firm but flexible rods that are placed into the shaft of the penis. There are no other parts to this implant. To have an erection, you simply hold the penis and move it into the desired position. When you are finished, you bend it back down to conceal it. The malleable penile implant can be a good option for men with limited dexterity.
Reasons to Consider a Penile Implant
- Patient Satisfaction Rates: Patients report a 98% satisfaction rate for inflatable penile implants.
- Additional Patient Satisfaction Rates:Patients treated with a penile implant appear to be significantly more satisfied with their treatment option than those treated with ED medication or other treatment options.
- A Discrete Treatment for ED: A penile prosthesis is not noticeable when your penis is flaccid. Your partner won’t be able to tell you’ve had an implant to treat your ED unless you tell them.
- Minimal Recovery Time: Every man is different, but a typical recovery time after a prosthesis implant procedure is four to six weeks. After you’ve fully recovered, you can begin enjoying sex once more.
- Cost-effective: Penile implants have been shown to be the most cost effective ED treatment over a 10-year period.